Expressive arts toolbox
- This workshop will present participants with some Expressive Arts concepts and foundations. We hope it will encourage you to consider using art in your therapeutic practice.
- This workshop will teach the benefits of Expressive Arts Therapy, as well as overview specific uses and outcomes it can provide for clients and participants.
- Participants will learn Therapist Guidelines for utilizing techniques learned.
- Participants will learn what materials to consider using in their practices.
- Participants will experience and learn drawing and visual media experiences as well as simple collage, and poetry prompts to use (and the benefits of each approach).
- Participants will come to understand art, writing, and movement as therapeutic modalities.
- Participants will engage in hands-on experiences in all modalities, as well as discussions to put learned techniques into use.
Ethics of Self Care: An Art-Based Approach
- This workshop highlights why Self Care is an ethical issue, overview common themes and benefits, and show why it is vital for counselors and mental health professionals.
- Participants will engage in several personal writing prompts, discussions, and art experiences in order to evaluate their personal thoughts and opinions and put new knowledge to use throughout the training.
- Participants will gain a clear understanding of what stress is, types of stress, its importance, and its impact on the body.
- Participants will learn about compassion fatigue, burnout, and vicarious trauma, as well as risk factors and professional impacts of each.
- Participants will learn how to practice professional restoration and leisure, as well as learn the types and benefits of each.
Art & Eating Disorders Workshop (Level 1)
- This workshop will present participants with some Expressive Arts Therapy concepts and ideas to put into practice.
- This workshop will overview types of Eating Disorders and their biopsychosocial and spiritual factors.
- Our workshop is based on the “Health at Every Size”, “Intuitive Eating”, and mindful eating philosophies.
- Participants will engage in hands-on activities that analyze media, stigma, and the self of the therapist, using visual arts and expressive writing modalities.
- Participants will learn useful skills for problem-solving and techniques to use to better help clients.
*If you are an eating disorders treatment facility, you have the option to work with NWCEAI to set up an Expressive Arts Group for your patients. We provide a series of 3 in-service programs that train and guide your staff to lead and manage an Expressive Arts Group with confidence. Program includes 6 months (6 90-minute meetings) of follow-up consultation, to assure that your group is running smoothly. Please inquire about availability and cost.
Expressive Arts Therapy Toolbox Basics
- Includes: philosophy and approach—how to set your group up by providing your clients with appropriate creative arts materials and directives
- How to work with both the creative arts process and product
- How to be an attuned witness to art making process
- How to work with visual images and other modalities
- How to integrate arts modalities
- Knowing your materials and selecting wisely
This 3-hour session will offer simple drawing, modeling clay, and journal writing hands-on activities.
Art and Mindfulness
- Overview of expressive arts therapy and mindfulness practice and how the two support each other.
- Working with clay or music as a mindful practice
- Poetry and mindfulness
- Using painting to focus on breath awareness
- Using drawing with meditation
- How to create your own mindfulness coloring book
This 3-hour session will provide the participant with simple creative techniques and activities to expand mindfulness practice by using the expressive arts.
Our workshops will not credential you as an Art Therapist, Expressive Arts Therapist, or Creative Arts Therapist of any domain. They will, however, give you the tools to bring art into your therapeutic techniques.
Northwest Creative & Expressive Arts Institute is a NBCC Approved Continuing Education Provider ™, ACEP No. 7014.