Creative Journal Writing for Clinical Practice
Facilitated by: Sibel Golden, Phd, LMHC, REAT
Dates: Saturday, April 17, 2021
Hours: 8:30 am- 12:00 pm Pacific Time
CEs: 3 CEs available
Location: Online via Zoom
The benefits of journal writing are many. Support in recovery, stress reduction, working with anxiety, depression, trauma, and eating disorders, to name a few. Journal writing increases self-awareness and the development of inner resources. It can also support resilience, creativity, and increased focus. This workshop offers hands-on activities to explore bringing creative journal writing into your life and your work with clients.*
Creative Journal Writing blends writing techniques with other creative arts modalities to offer a powerful, multi-modality approach. We’ll use poetry, collage, painting (optional), and drawing to bring an integrated arts perspective to journal writing.
This workshop will present various journal writing approaches and techniques. The four modes of expression: free intuitive, description, catharsis, and reflection set the stage for exploring various techniques such as alternate point of view, unsent letters, dialogue, and time-lines.
- Simple Poetry Prompts
- Using Images and Photographs to Begin Writing
- Writing from Music
- Collage Journaling
- Participants will learn basic tools and techniques of creative journal writing
- Participants will learn how to bring the creative arts into journal practice
- Participants will learn how journal writing offers clients a tool that can be used to work with a variety of issues, such as stress, anxiety, and grief, as well as enhance wellness, focus and mindfulness practice.
- Engaging in hands-on experiential activities, participants will learn how to confidently offer creative journal writing options to clients.
*You do not have to have any prior experience in art or writing.
- Unlined paper or sketchbook/journal
- Various pens, markers
- Colored pencils, crayons, oil or chalk pastels (one or more)
- Printer paper
- Collage materials, such as old magazines, calendars, catalogs + glue stick or other glue
- Personal photos
If you are outside of Washington State, we advise that you check with your state licensing board to confirm that they accept NBCC approved CEs. This workshop offers 3 CEs for Mental Health Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Licensed Social Workers.
You will receive the Zoom access link prior to the workshop date.
Northwest Creative & Expressive Arts Institute is a NBCC Approved Continuing Education Provider ™,
ACEP No. 7014.
- Creative Journal Writing
April 17, 2021
8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Venue: Online webinar via Zoom